You are here

Tips & Tricks

Missing Menus/Blank Screen
Clearing Browser Cache with Internet Explorer
Clearing Browser Cache with FireFox
Login and Password Not Working
Changing CM/ECF Password
Changing CM/ECF Preferences and Addresses
Email Notices from CM/ECF Not Being Received
PDF File Size Too Large to Upload
Embedded Fonts - PDF Notices and Chapter 13 Plans to the BNC
Fees - Overpayments and Refunds
Fees - Pay.Gov Payment Issues
Fees - Reconciling Credit Card Charges
Fees - Credit Card Screen Does Not Appear
Fees - Locked Out of CM/ECF for Non-Payment
Search Tips
Statement of Social Security Numbers

Missing Menus/Blank Screen:
If you don't see the Bankruptcy or Adversary categories on the blue CM/ECF menu bar, you have probably logged into PACER. Log out and try again using your CM/ECF login and password. If the categories are still missing, try clearing the browser cache.

Clearing Browser Cache with Internet Explorer:
With Internet Explorer open, click "Tools," and then "Internet Options." Under the "General" tab, locate the box titled "Temporary Internet Files" and click "Delete Files." Click "OK." Log into CM/ECF.

Clearing Browser Cache with FireFox:
With FireFox open, click "Tools," and then "Options." Select "Privacy." Click on "Cache." Choose "Clear." Click "OK." Log into CM/ECF.

Login and Password Not Working:
Make sure you are using the bankruptcy court's CM/ECF login and password (not PACER) and that you are on the bankruptcy court’s CM/ECF Web page (not the District Court’s). If problem persists, clear your browser cache. If you are still having problems, call the court at (509) 458-5300.

Changing CM/ECF Password:
On the login page, click on “If you forgot your CM/ECF password, you can request a password reset here" or log into CM/ECF, click “Utilities" and select “Change your Password."

Changing CM/ECF Preferences and Addresses (Attorneys only):
Notices of Electronic Filing can be transmitted to you as each document is filed or as an end-of-day summary. To change the delivery method, log into CM/ECF, click "Utilities," and then select "Maintain Your ECF Account," and click the "Email information..." button. Click the appropriate button to either receive your email notice with each filing or as a daily summary report.

Email Notices from CM/ECF Not Being Received:
Your email provider or software could be filtering messages from CM/ECF as spam or junk mail. Check your email software settings or preferences to verify that email from is not blocked. Attorneys – log into CM/ECF and verify that your email address is current and correct.

PDF File Size Too Large to Upload:
PDF files should not be more than 10 megabytes in size. Large PDF files may be split into smaller files through your PDF software. Refer to instructions in your PDF software for extracting pages. Scanned documents frequently cause large PDF file sizes. To avoid this, choose the optimal scanner setting of black and white (not grayscale or color), set the resolution to 300 dpi and the paper size of 8.5 x 11.

Embedded Fonts - PDF Notices and Chapter 13 Plans to the BNC:
The Bankruptcy Noticing Center generates all notices for the court, including PDF notices of the Chapter 13 Plan. The BNC has limited types of fonts available. If the font cannot be identified, the form or notice will fail. To avoid this, embed fonts in the document when it is converted to PDF. This is a one-time setting for all documents converted to PDF. 1) Create the document using word processing software (Word, WordPerfect, etc.) 2) Go to "File", then Print 3) Under “Current Printer," select your PDF printer (example PDF application - Adobe PDF). To the right, select “Properties" 4) Under “Adobe PDF Settings" tab, click on the “Edit" button next to “Default Settings" drop down 5) Select the “Fonts" folder 6) Click in the box to the left of “Embed all Fonts" 7) Select “OK" 8) Select “OK" again 9) Select “Print" 10) Save PDF File As [file name]

Fees - Overpayments and Refunds:
If you have paid a fee in error through the CM/ECF credit card module, a written request is required to obtain a refund. Send an email to the court's Financial Administrator at In the subject line type "Refund Request". In the body of the email explain why you are requesting a refund and include your name and phone number.

Fees - Pay.Gov Payment Issues: is a government-wide payment collection service of the United States Department of the Treasury. All CM/ECF transactions that require a filing fee must be paid through the system. After completing a CM/ECF transaction requiring a fee, the Web site will automatically open in a new internet browser window. Do not use the "Back" button during the payment of fees in CM/ECF. If the "Pay Now/Continue Filing" screen is displayed and you don't want to pay the fee at that time, click the "Continue Filing" button and navigate to the menu of your choice using the CM/ECF menus. If the credit card payment screen(s) is displayed and you don't want to pay the fee at that time, close the window and navigate to the menu of your choice using the CM/ECF menus on the main browser window.

Fees - Reconciling Credit Card Charges:
CM/ECF has a report that can be used to reconcile credit card charges for filing fees. On the blue menu bar in CM/ECF, click on “Utilities/ Internet Payment History." Type in the desired date range. The report will list all payments that have been made for filing fees using the credit card module in CM/ECF ( If you want to import this information into a spread sheet or database, use the “Internet Payment History Raw Data" report. Instructions are available on the screen where you enter in the date range.

Fees - Credit Card Screen Does Not Appear:
A pop-up blocker installed on your browser may prevent the credit card module screen from appearing when you try to pay filing fees in CM/ECF. You must either disable the blocker or modify the settings to allow pop-ups from our CM/ECF Web site to access the site and process the credit card transaction. You may also temporarily disable pop-up blocking by holding the "Ctrl" key on your computer keyboard. Refer to MS Windows "Help" for more information. Many virus protection software products now come with pop-up blocking. Be certain you have configured your browser and virus software to permit pop-ups from the Web site

Fees - Locked Out of CM/ECF for Non-Payment:
The CM/ECF system will automatically lock out a user who has not paid filing fees within 72 hours of the electronic filing of the document requiring the fee. Three total emails reminding the user of fees due will be sent prior to lockout. Lockout allows the user to login to the CM/ECF system, but access to menus is limited to "Utilities". If you suspect you are locked out of the CM/ECF system, click on "Utilities," and then "Internet Payments Due," and pay any outstanding fees via If you suspect you owe fees but don't see any due, log out of CM/ECF, clear your browser cache, and login again.

Search Tips:


  • Enter one field of data for each search (more than one may make your search overly narrow)
  • CM/ECF search is NOT case sensitive
  • Format SSN/Tax IT with hyphens: xxx-xx-xxxx
  • Include punctuation (e.g., Garcia-Carrera)
  • Partial names can be entered - at least two characters required
  • Wild cards (*) should not be used at the end of search strings
  • Wild cards may be used before or within search strings (e.g., "*son")
  • The asterisk should not be used by itself. It will search ALL records in the database and use unnecessary system resources
  • Search for a word within a document by using "Alt" + "F" or the "Find" tool in Adobe Acrobat. This only works for documents that were created as PDFs using software - this feature will not work with scanned documents


Statement of Social Security Numbers:
Federal Rule of Bankruptcy Procedure 1007(f) requires each debtor to submit a verified statement setting out the debtor’s social security number or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN), or stating that the debtor does not have a number. Neither a social security number nor an ITIN are required to file bankruptcy. A Statement of Social Security Number (Official Form B21) may be submitted by mailing the original to the court. Electronic filers should submit Official Form B21 by filing it with the docket event “Statement of Social Security Number”, which automatically restricts the document from public view.